TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson is defending his officers after a former inmate posted a picture to Facebook and claimed he was mishandled in jail.
According to Johnson, Johntavious Trice was brought to the Lee County jail by court order to be held for mental evaluation and treatment.
It was during that time in jail that Johnson said Trice attacked deputies inside the jail on two separate occasions. He added that Trice used a makeshift blade (or shank) during the second incident.
Johnson also said Trice refused to eat while inside the jail, which would explain the weight loss.
According to Johnson, Trice has been admitted to a mental hospital.
- Lee County sheriff responds to former inmate's Facebook post
- Sheriff: Lee County inmate attacks officers
- Supervisors defeat motion for Lee County jail expansion, sheriff responds
- NAACP respond to offensive texts from Lee County sheriff
- Inmate stabs Lee County correctional officer
- Lee County Sheriff's Department investigates chase
- Sheriff issues warning about Lee County scam
- Lee County sheriff warns about scam
- Lee County sheriff's deputies capture murder suspect
- Sheriff: Wanted Lee County man captured