BALDWYN, Miss. (WTVA) - Law enforcement officers found a Lee County shooting suspect hiding in a boat.
Jason Tackett, 39, was taken into custody late Wednesday morning, according to Baldwyn police.
Jason Tackett | Photo: Baldwyn Police Department
He was found along Highway 370 in the Pratts community, Investigator Shane Young confirmed.
Police later confirmed an employee at a nearby store reported seeing Tackett leave a wooded area and recognized him from earlier news coverage.
The boat was located in a storage shed behind a nearby residence.
Tackett is accused of leading police officers on a chase and shooting at them Tuesday night.
According to the Baldwyn Police Department, officers were conducting a checkpoint at the intersection of Pratts Road and Cemetery Road.
It was then that a white Ford Explorer attempted to avoid the checkpoint by turning around.
This led to a short chase that ended at Tackett's residence on County Road 1213.
After crashing his vehicle, police said Tackett got out of the vehicle, took out a gun and shot several times at law enforcement officers.
No injuries were reported.
However, a police car suffered a flat tire and bullet holes were found on the car's bumper.
Police said he then ran away into a wooded area and law enforcement officers started searching for him.
Following his capture, he was booked into the Lee County jail.
He is charged with felony fleeing, assault on an officer and possession of a firearm by a felon.
- Police: Baldwyn shooting suspect was found hiding in a boat
- Man found dead inside his Baldwyn home
- Charges pending after deadly Baldwyn shooting
- Ceremony held to remember Baldwyn shooting victim
- Charges filed in fatal Baldwyn shooting
- Baldwyn police officers file lawsuit against city
- Update: Police say Baldwyn man shot in the chest
- Police: 1 person taken to hospital after Baldwyn wrecks
- Stray bullet grazes Baldwyn softball player, police investigate
- Arrest made following Baldwyn gas station burglary