LAFAYETTE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - The Lafayette County Sheriff's Department is warning residents of a clever phone scam.
Lafayette County Investigator Alan Wilburn says the scammer is pretending to be from the sheriff's department and advises the victim there is a warrant out for their arrest. The scammer tells the victim to purchase a money card.
This is the type of money card the scammer is using.
Wilburn says the scammer is using real names of employees of the sheriff's department.
"Please don't send them any money and just hang up the phone," Wilburn said. "We (sheriff's department) do not use an automated service and we will not ask for money over the phone."
- Lafayette County warns of phone scam
- AT&T warns of phone scam
- Monroe County Electric warns of phone scam
- Lee County sheriff warns of phone scam
- Tishomingo County warns of phone scam
- Lee County residents warned about phone scam
- Okolona Electric issues warning about phone scam
- Starkville police warn of phone scam
- State fire marshal warns of phone scam
- Trustmark warns of phone, text scam