CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) — NBA legend Kobe Bryant and one of his daughters are among the nine reported dead after their helicopter went down in Southern California.
The chopper crashed Sunday in Calabasas, about 30 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
A person familiar with the crash tells The Associated Press that Bryant was among the victims.
A second person familiar with the case says Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter Gianna also was killed.
Bryant was an all-time basketball great who won five NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Word of Bryant’s death at age 41 is rocketing around the sports and entertainment worlds, with many stars taking to Twitter to register their shock, disbelief and dismay.
- NBA legend Kobe Bryant, daughter among nine killed in helicopter crash
- Kobe Bryant had big plans
- The miracle Kobe Bryant saw
- The helicopter that crashed killing nine people, including Kobe Bryant, dropped more than 2,000 feet a minute, NTSB says
- NTSB details the final moments of the helicopter before it crashed, killing Kobe Bryant and 8 others
- Remembering Kobe Bryant: Beyonce and Jimmy Kimmel open tributes to Lakers legend
- Former NBA player and Starkville native responds to Kobe Bryant's death
- Young athletes, a baseball coach and mothers. What we know about the others in the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant
- NBA legend's fans gather at Los Angeles plaza yelling 'Kobe!' in honor of his signature jumpshot
- Local flight nurse killed in Arkansas helicopter crash