STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Like Thanksgiving, Christmas is a holiday that enhances the chance of a fire breaking out in a home.
As night falls on Christmas Eve, temperatures continue to drop and festive lights click on. This combination can cause quite a threat inside a home.
Many people will turn on space heaters to keep themselves warm.
Know to stay safe, always give a heater space, and never use a power strip or extension cord to plug in a heater.
Brian Arnett, a lieutenant at the Starkville Fire Station No. 2, said extension cords should be monitored often to ensure the cord does not heat up against a flammable fabric like rugs or carpet.
Along with extension cords, if families put up a natural tree, be sure to frequently water the tree.
However, he said one of the biggest things to keep in mind is turning off your Christmas lights and making sure those lights are safe to hang.
“If you keep your, you know, your lights stored in the attic; when you get those down, you need to actually look at that cord and make sure that there are no cuts in it because if that insulation jacket is cut, you’re passing heat up and down that line and so it becomes a liability there.”
Arnett also mentioned when cooking, it is important to always stay calm if something goes wrong and remember, if you do run into a problem, turn the heat off first and use baking soda or flour to put out the fire.