ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A judge has ordered the suspect in a deadly shooting at a Maryland newspaper to remain detained.
Judge Thomas Pryal said Friday that he found a likelihood that 38-year-old Jarrod W. Ramos is a danger.
Ramos appeared in an Annapolis courtroom via video feed. He appeared to watch attentively during the hearing but never spoke. He was dressed in blue detention clothing.
He is charged with five counts of first-degree murder in the killings inside Maryland's Capital Gazette office on Thursday.
Police Chief Timothy Altomare said at a news conference Friday that the Capital Gazette didn't press charges over social media threats the shooting suspect had made against the newspaper in 2013.
Altomare said the shooter intended to "kill as many people as he could kill."
Authorities say the suspect used a pump-action shotgun in the attack.
Altomare also said at a news conference Friday that it is "absolutely untrue" that suspect Jarrod W. Ramos mutilated his fingertips.
Altomare also said that employees Rachel Pacella and Janet Cooley had been treated at a hospital and released after being injured during Thursday's attack.