TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The father of Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton and Attorney Jon Shelton has passed away.
According to the City of Tupelo, Jimmy Shelton passed away in his sleep of an apparent heart attack Wednesday morning.
The Tupelo attorney practiced law from 1967 to 2004 at the Shelton Law Firm where he tried by jury more than 1,000 cases in his long legal career.
Shelton was known as an entrepreneur and businessman.
He was also instrumental in the development of East Tupelo, especially the Elvis Presley Birthplace.
He also served his country in the Mississippi Army National Guard. He was a member of the Open Door Baptist Church.
A servicing celebrating his life will be held at 2 p.m. on Friday, December 15 at the East Heights Baptist Church in Tupelo with a private burial at Priceville Cemetery.
Visitation will be from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, December 14 at the Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors and from noon to service time on Friday at East Heights Baptist Church.
Memorials may be made to the Elvis Presley Birthplace Foundation.
- Jimmy D. Shelton passes away
- Shelton named new Columbus police chief
- Fred Shelton sworn in as Columbus chief of police
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton's U.S. Senate campaign moving forward
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton drops out of U.S. Senate race
- Dundee, Lawler awarded keys to the city by Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton
- Jimmy Long retires with a flourish
- Longtime football coach Jimmy Mitchell dies
- Jimmy Dean sausage recalled due to metal contamination
- Aberdeen alderman passes away