IUKA, Miss. (WTVA) - An Iuka facility played a critical part in the recent launch of a rocket which will help scientists better understand the planet Mars.
Technicians at Orbital ATK's Iuka facility produced the heat shield used on the Atlas V rocket. The shield provides protection for the first stage engine of the launch vehicle from engine exhaust temperatures in excess of 4,000 degree Fahrenheit.
Technicians at the facility fabricated the assembly using advanced fiber placement manufacturing techniques.
The United Launch Alliance rocket successfully launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California earlier this month.
- Iuka facility plays part in Mars mission
- Orbital ATK in Iuka plays critical role in rocket launch
- Iuka attorney disbarred from practice
- UPDATED: Bizarre gun suicide at Iuka Hospital
- Iuka man faces drug-related charge
- Iuka man sentenced for child sex activity
- Arrest expected soon following Iuka shooting
- Iuka plans clean-up day on Saturday
- UPDATE: Missing Iuka teen found safe
- Three arrested for burglary of Iuka church