CAROLINA, Miss. (WTVA) - Itawamba County investigators are charging a man with capital murder following the discovery of a body on Wednesday.
Mitchell Shumpert, 25, is accused of killing 26-year-old Dylan Cayson of Nettleton.
Cayson’s body was found in a well at 215 Ritter Road in the Carolina community of Itawamba County, Sheriff Chris Dickinson said. Shumpert lives at the address, the sheriff added.
Previous Article - Sheriff: Body found in Itawamba County, one person in custody
Deputies arrested Shumpert at his grandmother’s home next door.
Cayson was reported missing from the weekend, Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson confirmed.
Dickinson believes Cayson was shot and killed on the property. Investigators are checking ballistics.
In the state of Mississippi, investigators can charge a suspect with capital murder if the crime was committed while in the act of a felony, including robbery, rape and burglary.
Investigators suspect Cayson's murder was committed during a robbery; however, Dickinson did not provide further details.
The sheriff said the two men knew each other and may have previously been roommates
Investigators recovered a weapon.
- Investigators arrest capital murder suspect following body discovery in Itawamba County
- Itawamba County murder suspect found guilty
- Choctaw County man charged with murder following body discovery
- Judge lowers bond for Itawamba murder suspect
- Murder trial continues in Itawamba County
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Itawamba County shooting
- Jury finds capital murder suspect guilty
- Molestation arrest made in Itawamba County
- Drug arrests made in Itawamba County
- Drug arrest made in Itawamba County