PONTOTOC, Miss. (WTVA) - Authorities are not releasing much information following a fatal officer-involved shooting in Pontotoc County.
The Monday evening shooting was the result of a law enforcement pursuit that originated in Union County.
Union County Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said a sheriff’s deputy pulled a motorist over on County Road 102 in Union County. The motorist got out of his car, then got back in and took off.
The chase ended when the car crashed into another vehicle on Highway 9 near Pontotoc.
The motorist shot at the deputy and multiple officers had to return gunfire, Edwards said.
The motorist died at the scene, Edwards said. On Wednesday, Pontotoc County Coroner Kim Bedford officially identified the motorist as Terry Payne.
Previous Article - Chase ends with fatal officer-involved shooting near Pontotoc
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI) continues to state the incident is under investigation, and further questions would need to be referred to the district attorney.
1st District Attorney John Weddle serves Pontotoc County, and 3rd District Attorney Ben Creekmore serves Union County.
Creekmore said his investigator is reviewing the incident. WTVA reached out to Weddle but had not received a response as of this article’s publishing.
MBI's involvement is a standard procedure following a law enforcement shooting.
- Investigation ongoing into officer-involved shooting, MBI refers to district attorney
- MBI investigating officer-involved shooting in Calhoun County
- MBI investigating Pontotoc County crash
- UPDATE: MBI will not release body cam footage in officer-involved shooting
- Investigation ongoing into Tallahatchie County shooting
- Ongoing investigation in motorcycle accident
- Marion County officer-involved shooting under investigation
- State investigates deputy-involved shooting
- UPDATE: 2 men dead in Corinth shooting, investigation ongoing
- Evacuation issued at Aberdeen school, investigation ongoing