LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) – A Mooreville woman has been charged with first-degree murder for a Tuesday shooting.
According to the Lee County Sheriff’s Department, deputies responded Tuesday afternoon to a house on County Road 1451.
“The nature of the call was a 911 hang-up call with no further information,” the sheriff’s department stated.
They found a man with one gunshot to the head, which was fatal. His name has not been released at this time.
Deputies also found a woman, identified as 55-year-old Judy Smith, with a gunshot wound to the head area. She was transported to North Mississippi Medical Center.
As of Wednesday morning, Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson stated Smith is at the Med in Memphis in critical condition.
“At this time there is no reason to believe anyone else was involved and it is believed to be a domestic dispute,” the sheriff’s department stated.
Lee County investigators recovered a 22-caliber rifle believed to have been used in the shooting.
“There was no evidence that the male victim did anything to provoke or cause this incident,” stated the sheriff’s department.
Smith is accused of shooting the man and then shooting herself.
As a result, Smith has been charged with first-degree murder.
- UPDATE: Mooreville woman charged with murder in man's death
- UPDATE: Mooreville man dies in Thursday crash
- Fire destroys Mooreville home
- UPDATE: Soft lockdown lifted at Mooreville school
- Mooreville man sent to prison on DUI-related charges
- UPDATE: Two charged with capital murder in Corinth man's death
- Man arrested for Mooreville school burglary
- Man charged with murder in Tibbetts' death
- Mooreville High School 2018 graduation
- UPDATE: Mooreville road reopened after months of work