TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Inmate Johntavious Trice is accused of stabbing a Lee County correctional officer Sunday night with a homemade shank, Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson confirmed.
At approximately 5:15 p.m., Trice was let out of his cell to eat. That is when he attacked the officer and had to be Tased.
This is his second incident since October 13, when he was brought in on robbery charges from Shannon, that he has attacked an officer.
The first attack, he was still in handcuffs and tried to punch the officer with them.
“This is just a reminder that even though we have individuals here in our jail, they are dangerous and we have to be on the lookout at all times to make sure our officers are safe," Johnson said. "We commend them for the job they did.”
The homemade shank used in the second attack was made from thread, and the metal part was sharpened on a wall.
They are still investigating where the sharp metal part came from. Officers check rooms periodically for weapons.
The motives of his attacks are being examined as well.
Both officers are expected to make a full recovery, Johnson said.
Trice's bond has been set at $50,000, and he was charged with aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer.
- Inmate stabs Lee County correctional officer
- Chickasaw County corrections officer attacked by inmate
- Sheriff: Lee County inmate attacks officers
- Sheriff: Inmate attacks jailers in Lee County
- Former corrections officer sues Chickasaw County
- Inmate accused of starting fire at Lee County jail
- Inmate with Lee County ties escapes in South Mississippi
- Lee County sheriff responds to former inmate's Facebook post
- Inmate with Lee County ties escapes in Clarksdale
- Parchman inmate who died had Lee County convictions