COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - A group from the St. Paul United Church in Christ in Belleville, Illinois, took a week-long missionary trip to Columbus to help with storm recovery.
They worked to demolish a home in the 1200 block of Shady Street on Monday after the home was damaged in the Feb. 23 tornado.
Donna Nettleton, a member of the church group, said the home was not structurally sound. She said they took out all the windows and cleaned up the debris.
Since Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the church group has traveled all over the country to help communities that have been affected by natural disasters.
Nettleton said they will travel to another damaged home on Tuesday to help with recovery.
The Community Recovery of Lowndes County organized the demolition and asks for more volunteers.
- Illinois church group helps demolish Columbus home for storm recovery
- Columbus police recruited to help solve Illinois 1976 cold case
- Columbus home catches fire
- Volunteers, churches help storm victims in Hamilton
- Bonanza Steakhouse demolished in Tupelo
- Columbus continues storm debris removal
- Community Recovery of Lowndes County seeks to help storm victims
- Columbus church begins rebuilding after tornado
- Columbus missing man returns home unharmed
- No injuries at Columbus nursing home fire