TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - People had the chance to enjoy a bowl of soup and help a good cause.
The Salvation Army held its 20th Annual Empty Bowl Luncheon Wednesday at the Tupelo Furniture Market.
The event is held to raise money for the hungry in North Mississippi.
"There's definitely a need. There are more homeless people in this county than people realize," said Joy King.
Gourmet soup, bread and drinks from 40 different restaurants were available. Baked goods were also on sale with pottery.
"The Salvation Army is an amazing organization and they help so many people in the community," said Nyla Osborn
Many say the most enjoyable part is walking out with a handmade empty bowl. The bowl symbolizing the hunger struggle many face.
"It makes me feel great to support a great cause and I get to see my friend," said Linda Hale.
If you missed the event, you can go online to the Salvation Army's website and donate.
- Hundreds turn out for Empty Bowl luncheon
- MAKING A DIFFERENCE: Mud Ladies Plus One prepare for Empty Bowls luncheon
- Sheriff's department hosts senior citizens for luncheon
- Alabama mayor: 'Poop train' finally empty; sludge gone
- Local food pantry feeds hundreds
- Warehouse blaze leaves hundreds wondering
- Popular Tupelo bowling alley closes
- Itawamba County wreck turns fatal
- Hundreds celebrate anniversary of gospel group
- Hundreds line-up for Alcorn State parade