SALTILLO, Miss. (WTVA) - Police are investigating a human skull found behind a Saltillo business on Saturday.
It was found near a strip mall on Highway 145 behind K's Tobacco and Brew.
A worker from the tobacco store says he went around the corner of the building to check a breaker box that is when he found a human skull near a shed.
Coroner Carolyn Green says the human skull was all that was found.
Chief Grant Bailey says Saltillo police and Lee County sheriff's deputies spent hours late Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning searching for additional evidence or human remains.
Nothing was found.
Bailey says the head and eyes are in tact, but the nasal and mouth area are missing.
Authorities speculate the skull could have washed up from the creek lying behind the strip mall or a stray dog could have dragged it to the area. Bailey says at this they are not ruling anything out.
He adds there is not a missing person that he is aware of out of Saltillo.
The skull will have to be taken to the state's crime lab.
The Lee County Sheriff's Department has taken over this investigation.
- Human skull found in Saltillo
- Human skull found in man's backyard
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Saltillo skull
- Former Saltillo banker indicted
- Saltillo Public Works director resigns
- Semi catches fire in Saltillo
- Saltillo man charged with burglary
- Skull found in Lowndes County identified as former police chief's son
- Pontotoc and Saltillo celebrate Veterans Day
- Saltillo woman wins new metal roof