LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - An investigation is underway after a human skull was found in someone's backyard in Lowndes County.
The skull was found Tuesday night at a home off of Hughes Road.
The homeowner said he was working on fixing a car with his neighbor when he looked towards his backyard and saw what he thought was a basketball.
Lamar Johnson, the homeowners neighbor, said the homeowner was in shock.
"He was freaking out," Johnson said. "It's not everyday you find a skull in your backyard."
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant said he along with the Lowndes County Sheriffs Department searched the property for any additional evidence.
The homeowner has two dogs and the coroner said they helped pick up evidence.
"It's believed that the skull ended up in his yard by his animals," Merchant said. "They been out in the woods and had brought up many pieces of bone."
Merchant met with a professor from Mississippi State's Archaeology and Anthropology Department to try and determine the age and gender of the deceased.
The skull will be taken to the states crime lab.
- Human skull found in man's backyard
- Human skull found in Saltillo
- Police: Part of human skull found under Winona home
- Hikers find human skull in northwest Alabama
- Sheriff: Human skull found in Franklin County is likely that of an adult
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Saltillo skull
- Skull found in Lowndes County identified as former police chief's son
- Skull in Lowndes County makes third recent bones case
- UPDATE: Lowndes County skull identification leads to many questions
- An Ohio woman who buried her newborn in the backyard is found not guilty of murder