OKTIBBEHA COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Oktibbeha County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan tells WTVA 9 News a house on Oliver Jackson Road was completely in flames when firefighters arrived just after 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.
He adds two cars were also burned. No injuries were reported. Joe Harris and Lelia Dell Harris got out safely with the help of a neighbor.
Central and District 5 fire departments responded. The home is a complete loss and just a couple of weeks before Christmas, this family has lost everything.
“We found a house fully involved in flames," Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan said. "The pictures will show you that.”
Rosenhan sent WTVA 9 News photos and video as crews worked to put out the fire. You could see small fires in the house and smoke billowing through the trees during the day. Investigators are still working to determine where the fire started and what caused it.
“I do not know the circumstances of how it was discovered but we certainly want everybody to have a smoke detector especially this time of year with the heating season starting up." Rosenhan said.
Donations are being accepted at Restaurant Tyler in downtown Starkville for Lelia Dell Harris and her family.
“Ms. Dell and Mr. Harris are long-term community members," Restaurant Tyler General Manager Hunter Smith. "They’re friends with the owners and we found out about the fire this morning. We’ve got a money pool going at work and we’re also accepting donations from different people in the community. Anything from gift cards to clothing to household supplies and things like that."
The family is in a hotel for three days. Below are clothing sizes:
Shoes size 9
Pants size 10
Shoes size 15
- Donations being collected for family that lost everything in fire
- Columbus hospital collects hundreds of glasses for donation
- Oxford School District asks for donations for employee following fire
- Family picking up the pieces following fire
- Mooreville house fire kills family's pets
- Clay County family home destroyed after fire
- Family loses home in overnight house fire
- Families displaced following Grenada apartment fire
- Amory library gets $250,000 donation
- Family left with nothing after fire destroys mobile home