RUSSELLVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a group of hikers discovered a human skull while walking near a campground in Northern Alabama.
News outlets report the hikers were in a flood zone across the water from the Horseshoe Bend campground on Sunday when they found the skull.
The Franklin County Sheriff's Office says investigators retrieved the skull on Monday and will try to identify it.
Franklin County is located east of Belmont, Mississippi.
- Hikers find human skull in northwest Alabama
- Human skull found in Saltillo
- Human skull found in man's backyard
- Police: Part of human skull found under Winona home
- Sheriff: Human skull found in Franklin County is likely that of an adult
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Saltillo skull
- Skull in Lowndes County makes third recent bones case
- UPDATE: Lowndes County skull identification leads to many questions
- Police find 3 bodies at Alabama home
- Search again conducted after dog finds human bone