LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A Monroe County man is accused of stealing a woman’s car while she was putting air in her tires.
The incident happened on Friday, November 16 sometime near 9:36 a.m. at a convenience store at 7125 Highway 45 North in Lowndes County.
Lowndes County Sheriff Mike Arledge says a 64-year-old woman was attending to her car when a man approached her and asked for a ride.
The woman refused and continued to work on her car.
Arledge identifies the man as Michael Cox, 36, of Hamilton.
The sheriff says Cox jumped into the woman’s car. The woman tried to get Cox out of her car, but Cox put the car in reverse and knocked the woman down to the ground.
The woman injured her knee and elbow during the fall.
Arledge says Cox fled in the woman’s 2010 Buick Lacrosse.
A notice was sent to surrounding law enforcement agencies to be on the look-out for the car.
A Columbus police officer spotted the vehicle on Highway 45 North several minutes later and stopped it.
Cox was taken into custody. He is charged with carjacking.
- Hamilton man arrested for Lowndes County carjacking
- UPDATE: Hamilton man wanted in Lowndes County
- Hamilton man charged with cyberstalking in Lowndes County
- Man arrested for Lowndes County armed robbery
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- Crash In Lowndes County
- Lowndes County man charged in Monroe County
- UPDATE: Young man arrested for Lowndes robbery
- Accused burglar arrested in Lowndes County
- Child abuse arrest made in Lowndes County