OKOLONA, Miss. (WTVA) - One local elementary school gave students a special gift just in time for Valentine’s Day.
Okolona Elementary School partnered with Grace Baptist Church, Ken McKinney, and LaZarus Sykes to give students free haircuts.
“It’s Valentine’s week," Principal Lealue Triplett said. "So we thought this would be the perfect week to show our little boys some love and get them the haircuts they want."
One student, Jeremiah Darden, said he was excited to get his hair cut at school.
“You don’t have to go to the barbershop; you can do it at school. That’s cool; you just sign the paper and get chopped," Darden said.
Organizers said this wasn’t just about providing haircuts, but also encouraging students to finish the school year strong.
“When they came in, they were so excited to get their haircut, and it's also going to reflect on their grades because I told them if they do good on their grades, we’re going to come back,” Pastor Boddie Sr. said.
Boddie and Grace Baptist Church will continue giving back to students this week. On Valentine’s Day, all 260 students at Okolona Elementary School will get a bear and candy.
- Hair love at Okolona Elementary
- Okolona police investigate shooting
- Okolona bridge still under construction
- Power outage planned in Okolona
- Okolona school superintendent to retire
- Okolona begins spraying for mosquitoes
- Okolona cleaning up Olga's mess
- Okolona church holds Thanksgiving feeding
- Okolona Electric issues warning about phone scam
- Ousted Okolona police chief to appeal ruling