CHICKASAW COUNTY, MISS. (WTVA) - People in Okolona can expect a new spot to cool down.
A popular venue for people to hang out and keep cool in Okolona will be back in operation if the city accepts the funding.
The city council will have the option to either accept or reject the funding in a meeting on October 8th.
Okolona Mayor Sherman Carouthers, says the old swimming pool located behind the high school on School Street has been around since the 70's.
City leaders shut it down in 2013, and Mayor Carouthers says a remodel is due.
The grant funding was approved by the Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.
According to Mayor Carouthers, the funding is a 50/50 match which means the city will have to pay about $61,000 to fund the pool.
- Grant approved for Okolona community swimming pool
- Okolona looks to restore old swimming pool
- Okolona community make clean up efforts
- Okolona police investigate shooting
- Okolona bridge still under construction
- Power outage planned in Okolona
- Okolona school superintendent to retire
- Okolona begins spraying for mosquitoes
- Okolona cleaning up Olga's mess
- Okolona church holds Thanksgiving feeding