VARDAMAN, Miss. (WTVA) -A 72-year-old grandmother lost her home and vehicle after her home burned completely down on New Year's Day.
Shirley Hilderbrand was not at her house on Richards Street when it was engulfed in these massive flames.
“This fire, it’s like it was uncontrollable. It was large, it was cold. But the fire department was doing the best they could with this kind of fire,” said Vickie Alejos’olguin, a neighbor down the street witnessed the fire first-hand.
Hilderband’s daughter, Jamie Cruse, and son-in-law live just next door. Cruse's husband came out barefooted when he smelled the smoke and was able to get his truck, parked under the carport.
The homeowner’s vehicle was unfortunately burned.
“We could smell smoke, but we couldn’t see where the smoke was coming from," said Hilderbrand's neighbor. "When I came out I could see it was my neighbor’s house.”
Family and friends tell me they’re extremely thankful no one was inside.
This isn’t the first tragedy for the grandmother. She lost her husband a few years back, and now pictures him have perished.
Vardaman Fire Chief Michael Whitten suspects the fire is electrical.
- Grandmother loses home, car in New Year's Day blaze
- Firefighters battle Eupora business blaze
- Warehouse blaze leaves hundreds wondering
- Firefighters: Blaze damages Tupelo businesses
- Blaze damages house in Columbus
- Fire official: Oktibbeha County home destroyed in blaze
- Family loses home in overnight house fire
- Firefighters battle blaze at Winona business
- Fire marshal looking into Aberdeen blaze
- UPDATE: Grandmother in custody for infant's death