BOONEVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - A Prentiss County grand jury will determine whether any criminal charges are to be brought against the father of a 21-month-old who died in a hot car.
Booneville police, firefighters and medical personnel found the child, Lincoln Dodds, unresponsive the afternoon of Aug. 16.
They found him in a vehicle parked at a child’s daycare on North Second Street in Booneville.
The child was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to Booneville police, investigators determined the following:
The father forgot to drop his son off at the daycare that morning. The child was left in his father’s vehicle while at the father's workplace in Booneville.
According to police, the father returned to the daycare after work at approximately 4:55 p.m. in order to pick up his son.
That’s when the father found his son still in the vehicle.
In a Friday news release, police stated:
"It has been determined it was outside of the father’s normal routine to drop the child off at the daycare. His wife was out of town, so he was responsible for dropping the child off that day. He passed by the daycare on his way to work, arrived at work, and completed his workday prior to going to the daycare that evening and discovering his son’s body."
Preliminary autopsy results indicated the cause of death was hyperthermia, according to police.
“The daycare officials were in no way involved in the events which led to the tragic death of Lincoln,” police stated.
Police will present the case to the next county grand jury.
The family’s attorney Casey Lott spoke with WTVA Tuesday afternoon about the incident. Open this link to read the family's response.
- Grand jury to hear Booneville hot car death case
- Family speaks out after hot-car death in Booneville
- Lee County grand jury to hear evidence in Dalen Thomas death
- Grand jury indicts Harvey Weinstein in rape case
- Report: Grand jury indicts man for school bus crossing death
- Grand jury indicts Eaton with death of off-duty trooper
- Report: Grand jury indicts mother for infant's death
- Grand jury indicts Water Valley daycare worker
- UPDATE: Fleeing suspect arrested in Booneville case
- State investigates overdose deaths in Booneville