ATLANTA (AP) — One of the nation's largest domed stadiums has been reduced to rubble in downtown Atlanta.
The Georgia Dome was imploded with nearly 5,000 pounds of explosives Monday morning.
The dome was the former home of the NFL's Atlanta Falcons and also the site of two Super Bowls, 1996 Olympics Games events and NCAA basketball tournaments among other major events.
It's being replaced by the $1.6 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium next door.
- Georgia Dome imploded in downtown Atlanta
- Merger will help Renasant expand in Atlanta
- Funeral for Atlanta rapper Bambino Gold in Alabama home town
- UPDATE: All 4 victims of Atlanta plane crash identified
- Mississippi man charged with kidnapping missing Atlanta girl
- Alabama jail escapee captured in Georgia
- UPDATE: Missing teenager found in Georgia
- Army leader who led Katrina recovery to speak in Georgia
- Georgia man charged with vehicle theft in Booneville
- Alabama beats Georgia in OT for national title