TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - "You’ve heard those three little words before: "Tupelo Furniture Market." A time when thousands of companies come to buy from hundreds of local manufacturers. Before it’s all said and done, millions of dollars of business will be done.
Normally the winter show opens in February, but this year, customers clamored for an earlier start to pump up sales for tax season. Chief Operating Officer Adam Cleveland told me that more than 2500 companies pre-registered to send their buyers to this show, considered by most in the industry to be the number one upholstery market in the nation. The show is for exhibitors and professional buyers only, not the general public. About 225 companies are here to sell their goods -- 75 percent of them are from the region, which means the economic impact will be in the millions. Ultimately, says, Cleveland, customers come in from just about everywhere on the planet.
"We get people from all over the world," said Cleveland. "Our heaviest traffic, of course, is regional, but we get people from all over the U.S. Pretty much every country is represented here."
There’s no question these days that at The Market, time is money. And when this one is over, a lot of these buyers will be off to other markets around the country. After all, there’s money to be made.
- Furniture Market winter show opens in Tupelo
- United Furniture purchases Lane Furniture
- Tupelo police seek info on furniture store theft
- Tupelo farmers' depot opens
- United Furniture & Heritage Home Group finalize sale of Lane Furniture
- First Tupelo Makers Market takes place
- Skilled to Work: Furniture manufacturing
- Local furniture maker adding jobs
- Car show 'roars' to life in Tupelo
- Power outage at Ashley Furniture in Ripley