CALHOUN CITY, Miss. (WTVA) - A funeral was held for a member of the Navy who died aboard the USS Oklahoma during the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941.
The body of Petty Officer Durell Wade was identified earlier this year and was laid to rest at the North Mississippi Veterans Cemetery 77 years after he lost his life.
The funeral was held in his hometown of Calhoun City and his body has been taken to the veterans cemetery in Kilmichael.
Friends and family members from across the country were joined by Gov. Phil Bryant to commemorate Wade’s sacrifice for his country as his remains were buried in his home state.
- Funeral held for sailor who died at Pearl Harbor
- Pearl Harbor - 76th Anniversary
- Funeral held for hit and run victim
- Memorial service held for the homeless who died in Tupelo
- Pearl lays off 15 to fill budget shortfall
- Authors of Pearl River message in a bottle found
- Report: Pearl River, Bok Homa Casino to offer sports betting
- Pearl River Foods adding hundreds of new jobs
- Funeral arrangements set for longtime journalist
- Funeral arrangements set for Oxford teacher