FULTON, Miss. (WTVA) - Fulton Mayor Barry Childers and Itawamba County Sheriff's Deputy Andy Graham were the two men who got into a fight at a bar in Fulton, according to Fulton police.
Witnesses said the incident started when Childers called Graham over to the bar.
"It just escalated from there. They went from talking, to name calling and then a fist fight," a witness who wanted to remain anonymous said.
Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson said the deputy was responding to the punch.
Witnesses said neither of the men seemed to be under the influence.
The sheriff said there had been an ongoing tension between the two men.
Many residents in the community wonder why no actions were taken after the incident.
"They should be held to a higher standard than everybody else," said Sgt. Russell Houston, a recruiter for Mississippi National Guard. "It makes Itawamba and Fulton look bad."
WTVA reached out to the mayor and has not heard back.
- Witnesses recall bar fight in Fulton
- Fulton mayor apologizes for weekend fight
- Man arrested following bar fight
- Police: Fulton mayor and sheriff's deputy involved in fight
- Fulton PD investigate Walmart thefts
- Fulton man faces meth charge
- Fire destroys house in Fulton
- Vehicle hits Fulton nail salon
- Fulton man dies in Tupelo wreck
- Crews to fix Fulton water tower