COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) – Columbus officially has its chief of police.
New Chief of Police Fred Shelton was sworn into the position Monday morning in front of a large crowd.
Shelton has more than three decades worth of experience with the police department. He was unanimously selected in a 6-0 vote last week to lead the department.
This comes after the recent chief of police, Oscar Lewis, retired from the department in late December.
- Fred Shelton sworn in as Columbus chief of police
- Shelton named new Columbus police chief
- Columbus police chief to retire
- Jimmy D. Shelton passes away
- Columbus looking for new assistant police chief
- Columbus chief financial officer resigns
- Columbus police chief thanks city, fellow officers in retirement letter
- New Columbus police chief comments on officer's status
- Columbus police close to hiring assistant chief, CID leader
- Tupelo Mayor Jason Shelton's U.S. Senate campaign moving forward