TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Family, friends, former players and fans alike mourn the loss of former Ole Miss head football coach Billy Brewer.
Falkner native Jody Hill played football at Ole Miss under Billy Brewer and said he remembers his leadership and ability to inspire others.
"The great thing about Coach Brewer was he was a fan of the underdog," said Hill. "He loved to give guys a second chance and often times second chances too."
Even fans say Brewer was easily approachable.
"He was having lunch alone, so I started talking to him and we ended up joining for lunch and had a lovely lunch together," said Jimmy Dyson.
Brewer passed away on Saturday in Memphis at the age of 83. A tough loss for the community, but his legacy lives on.
There will be a memorial service Saturday, May 19 in Oxford at the Ole Miss Pavilion starting at 1 p.m.
- Former players and fans remember Coach Brewer
- Former Ole Miss football coach Billy Brewer dies
- MSU remembers softball player Alex Wilcox
- West Point soccer player dies in crash; remembered by friends
- Community remembers Lake Little
- College football players shave their heads to support coach battling cancer
- Family, friends remember Shaharah Coggins
- Crash kills EMCC football player, injures two other players
- MSU reminds fans about Egg Bowl procedures
- MSU fans shocked by Andy Cannizaro resignation