BRANDON, Miss. (WTVA) - Former superintendent of the Tupelo Public School District, Michael Vinson, has died.
Vinson, 76, died on February 24.
During his 35-year career in public education, he served as a teacher, coach, principal and superintendent.
He also served on the Hinds Community College Board of Trustees for more than 20 years and as executive director of the Mississippi Association of School Administrators.
He was named Mississippi Superintendent of the Year in 1999 and one of Hinds Community College's Top 100 Alumni in 2017.
Even in retirement, he took on special projects for the State Department of Education in Scott County and Okolona.
- Former TPSD Sup. Michael Vinson dies
- TPSD to start interviewing superintendent candidates soon
- Rob Picou named new TPSD school superintendent
- TPSD using survey to help with superintendent search
- TPSD names Ellis new director of communications for district
- Tupelo holds 'State of the City' forum alongside TPSD
- Joe Jackson, father of Michael Jackson, dies
- Tombigbee Electric workers help following Hurricane Michael
- Michael Cohen subpoenaed by Senate Intelligence Committee
- 6 takeaways from the Michael Cohen hearing