OKTIBBEHA COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) – A former Oktibbeha County Circuit Clerk was arrested Wednesday on a single count of simple assault.
According to the Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department, 62-year-old Glenn Hamilton was arrested on December 13.
The warrant was issued by Oktibbeha County Justice Court and was served by the Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department.
Brett Watson with the sheriff’s department says Hamilton allegedly assaulted a woman at his residence on December 6. He says the woman did not receive any injuries.
According to an affidavit obtained by the Starkville Daily News, Hamilton struck a woman with an open hand three times in the face, knocking her down.
"They weren't considered accurate when the charges were brought," Hamilton said. "But once the court gets the truth then it will be cleared."
The affidavit document states the two were in a former dating relationship.
Hamilton denied that too.
No further details were released about the assault.
The victim who wished not to be identified said she learned "a valuable lesson and will not put herself in this position again."
Hamilton was previously arrested in 2016 in Clay County on a felony possession of meth, misdemeanor charge of trespassing and a misdemeanor charge of possession of Native American artifacts.
He later left the position of circuit clerk.
"I've made mistakes," he said. "And through the process I am paying for those mistakes."
According to the Starkville Daily News, Hamilton was under a one-year supervised probation at the time of his simple assault arrest.
- UPDATE: Former Oktibbeha County circuit clerk speaks after simple assault arrest
- Brother, sister arrested for Oktibbeha County assault
- UPDATE: Two men wanted for Oktibbeha County assault charged
- UPDATE: Friends remember Oktibbeha County murder victim
- UPDATE: Missing teen found in Oktibbeha County
- UPDATE: Arrests made in separate Oktibbeha County cyberstalking cases
- Oktibbeha County deputy resigns following DUI arrest
- Oktibbeha County man faces four counts of aggravated assault
- Oktibbeha County wreck injures one
- Former Alcorn County clerk arrested for embezzlement