COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Lowndes County detectives arrested a former part-time auxiliary deputy, Jefferey Banks, on allegations of embezzlement from a local business.
According to the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office, a business owner reported Banks received $6,500 in payments from a customer for services.
However, the funds were not reported or deposited into the business account.
The business owner alerted authorities who then launched an investigation.
The sheriff's office said they found probable cause that embezzlement occurred.
A Lowndes County judge issued a warrant for his arrest.
Banks surrendered himself after the arrest warrant was issued.
A spokesman for the sheriff's office said Banks had been working with the sheriff's office as a part-time auxiliary deputy since April 2017.
Authorities said the crime Banks is accused of was not in the scope of his duties as a deputy sheriff.
After the allegations were investigated, Banks was terminated as an employee with the Lowndes' County Sheriff's Office, effective Sept. 25.
- Former Lowndes County Sheriff's Office employee arrested
- AG's Office investigating employee of Lowndes County Sheriff's Office
- Hawkins elected Lowndes County sheriff
- Two more Webster County sheriff's employees arrested
- Lowndes County sheriff not seeking re-election
- Lowndes County sheriff names new chief deputy
- Lowndes County officers chase down, arrest wanted man
- Lowndes County office building fire under investigation
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- Crash In Lowndes County