LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Firefighters could not salvage anything from a church that caught fire during the night.
Firefighters responded to Prairie Hill Church just before 11:00 on Wednesday. The church is located on Wicks Road.
Multiple fire departments responded.
No injuries were reported, Lowndes County Fire Coordinator Neal Austin said.
The church is a total loss.
Officials called the State Fire Marshal's Office to investigate.
The historic church has almost 200 members. Those members were to celebrate their pastor's anniversary during the upcoming weekend.
One of the church's deacons, Brenedell Washington, went to the church to see what remains.
Despite the tragedy, he's optimistic the church will rebuild.
- Fire destroys historic church in Lowndes County
- Lowndes County home destroyed in overnight fire
- Church destroyed in overnight fire
- Benton County church destroyed by fire, possibly hit by lightning
- Fire officials: Lowndes County business on fire
- Lowndes County inmate dies
- Crash In Lowndes County
- Man sent to hospital after crashing into Lowndes County church
- Fire destroys Pontotoc County home
- Fire destroys Monroe County home