RIENZI, Miss. (WTVA) - Firefighters confirmed three people died as a result of a house fire in Alcorn County.
The house is on County Road 540 near the Rienzi community. The fire was reported sometime near 12:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21.
Alcorn County Coroner Jay Jones confirmed the three victims' names:
- Samantha Mason, 46
- Crystlyn Brewer, 5
- Dakota Brassfield, 2
Family members of the victims said four people were inside the house at the time of the fire - two women and two young children.
Family members said one woman and the two children did not make it out in time.
The other woman is said to be in good condition but was checked out at a local hospital.
According to the Mississippi Insurance Department, a child was taking apart a basket and was putting the pieces into a propane heater.
A department spokesperson confirmed the house had working smoke alarms, but the victims were cut off from the exits by the fire.
If you would like to donate to the family to help with the costs of three funerals, the family has set up a donation account at the Renasant Bank. You just tell them you want to donate to the cause Samantha and Grandbabies.
- UPDATE: State reveals cause of fatal Alcorn County fire
- UPDATE: Alcorn County inmate captured
- House fire in Alcorn County
- UPDATE: Officials ID Alcorn County shooting victims
- UPDATE: Alcorn County deputies arrest escaped inmate
- UPDATE: Man recovering after fire destroys Alcorn County home
- No injuries in Alcorn County business fire
- Alcorn County fires remain a mystery
- Alcorn emergency crews respond to fatal house explosion, fire
- MHP identifies pedestrian involved in fatal collision in Alcorn County