TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - No one is claiming ownership of a fire hydrant which did not have enough pressure to help put out an early-morning house fire in Lee County.
The fire happened around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday on Oliver Circle, which is near the Verona/Tupelo city limits.
According to the homeowner and the Tupelo Fire Department chief, a faulty fire hydrant did not have enough water pressure to help fight a house fire.
"For a long time they couldn't get any water because the fire hydrant across the street there wasn't enough pressure," Lauren Bishop said.
Bishop's grandmother lived in the house that was destroyed by the fire.
"Actually, the house is outside the Tupelo city limits," said Romeco Traylor, chief of training for the Tupelo Fire Department. "So we had to lay a line back to the nearest hydrant inside the city limits. We finally got everything stabilized, and we were able to save a portion of the home."
According to the Palmetto Old Union Fire Department chief, his firefighters responded to the scene to help bring more water to the fire.
Neither Tupelo, Verona, nor Palmetto Fire Department would say the faulty fire hydrant was in their jurisdiction.