TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - One firefighter was sent to the emergency room as a result of a house fire in Tupelo.
Tupelo firefighters responded to the house on Walker Street sometime near 8:30 a.m. The official cause of the fire cannot be determined because of the extensive damage caused by the flames.
Tupelo Fire Chief Thomas Walker says when firefighters first got to the scene, they went inside the house to make sure no one was inside. Walker says no one was there at the time of the fire.
That's when firefighters attempted to get upstairs to get to the where the bulk of the fire was. The house's stairwell collapsed, sending the firefighter to the hospital.
Later Monday, the City of Tupelo released an update on the firefighter.
"He is in good spirits but has a sore neck," Walker stated.
The firefighter's name was not released. However, the city says he has no broken bones in his neck or upper head area. He was released from the hospital around 1:30 p.m. and can return to work as early as Thursday.
Walker says the house was on the City of Tupelo's demolition list.
"So we pulled everybody out and just raised the ladder and went into a defensive mode," Walker said.
One neighbor says the person who lived in the house moved out a week ago.
- UPDATE: Injured Tupelo firefighter in good spirits
- Firefighters: Blaze damages Tupelo businesses
- Motorcyclist injured in Tupelo accident
- Tupelo burger bash benefits good cause
- Columbus, Tupelo send firefighters to East Coast
- Tupelo sends firefighters to East Coast
- Firefighters respond to Tupelo house fire
- Tupelo firefighters respond to overnight house fire
- Firefighters respond to truck fire in Tupelo
- UPDATE: Tupelo teen found safe