TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Tupelo Fire Marshal Jason Cross said we are entering the time of year when many firework accidents occur.
Cross said residents need to be careful with fireworks during the Fourth of July holiday.
“Follow the direction on the boxes,” he said. “Never leave small children unattended with fireworks. Keep a small bucket of water and fire extinguisher handy and be mindful of your surroundings."
Cross said he expects calls about people with burn injuries due to fireworks and the possibility of grass fires.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 9,000 people were taken to the emergency room in 2018 for firework-related injuries.
Sixty-two percent of those injuries happened in a one-month span, including the Fourth of July.
- Fire marshal warns of firework accidents
- Update: State fire marshal to investigate fireworks stand blaze
- State fire marshal warns of phone scam
- U.S. Marshals warn of phone scam
- Fireworks believed to have caused Aberdeen fire
- Columbus fire truck in accident
- Fire coordinator, fire marshal rule church fire accidental
- Fire marshal looking into Aberdeen blaze
- Fire Marshal to assess Tupelo house fire damage
- Man making homemade fireworks injured in explosion