LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Columbus Police responded to a two-vehicle wreck on Highway 82, in front of Water Truck and Tractor in Columbus.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant confirms two people died from the head-on collision.
Authorities say it appears one vehicle was traveling the wrong way on the highway.
This accident happened around midnight Friday.
Police say more information will be available in the upcoming hours.
UPDATE: (9/1/2018: 12:02pm)
A wrong-way driver in a stolen car crashes head-on with another car just after midnight.
Police Chief Fred Shelton says the Toyota Prius had been reported stolen from Matson Road in Lowndes County 30 minutes prior to the accident. According to the police reports, the Prius entered the wrong side of the highway at the Lee Stokes Exit traveling west towards Starkville. The driver then hit a Toyota Camry heading east toward Alabama.
Both drivers were killed in the crash.
A portion of the highway was closed until the scene was cleared just after 2:00 a.m.
The identity of the victims will be released once next-of-kin has been notified.
UPDATE: (9/1/2018: 3:00pm)
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant has identified the victims in the fatal wreck on Highway 82. The driver of the Toyota Camry was 24-year-old Michael Ian Reed of Columbus. The driver of the Toyota Prius was 43-year-old Kimberly Denise Neal of Aberdeen.
- UPDATE: Victims of fatal wreck identified
- UPDATE: Georgia man identified as victim of fatal 18-wheeler wreck
- UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal Columbus shooting
- UPDATE: Victim identified in Columbus fatal shooting
- Victim involved in a fatal Lowndes Co. wreck identified
- UPDATE: Troopers ID victim of fatal Lafayette County wreck
- UPDATE: MHP identifies victim of fatal Monroe County crash
- UPDATE: Victims identified in Lowndes County fatal accident
- UPDATE: Pedestrian identified following fatal collision
- UPDATE: Victim identified in deputy-involved shooting