STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Mississippi State fans were blindsided Tuesday morning when the school announced via Twitter Andy Cannizaro resigned.
"I'm truly devastated, I didn't expect it, and didn't see it coming," said Dan Lucas, a Mississippi State fan from Hattiesburg.
Fans tell WTVA they are hoping this baseball season won't plummet as a result.
"It's going to be hard. I know they were pretty big on the Road Warrior's stuff they had going on," said Eulalio Mendozo, a MSU fan from Fulton. "They did just lose three to Southern. I still think it'll be exciting."
"We have the same players, but some new ones," added Robert Burress, a MSU fan from Booneville. "Sometimes changing coaches can set you back a little bit. We might be able to bring it back midway through the season. It's hard to tell right now."
On social media some Ole Miss fans, referred to Cannizaro's resignation as karma.
"That's a little much if I had to say, the Hugh Freeze stuff was a little different," added Mendozo.
Even through this adversity many fans say they are not giving up on the team.
"It'll be interesting to see how it all concludes this season," said Christin Bass.
"I've still got faith in the boys here,"added Dan Lucas."I think we can do really well this season."
- MSU fans shocked by Andy Cannizaro resignation
- MSU's Andy Cannizaro resigns
- Report: Cannizaro resigned due to extramarital affair
- MSU reminds fans about Egg Bowl procedures
- MSU fans react to National Championship loss
- MSU fans react to new baseball hire
- Pre-game: MSU fans travel to Women's Final Four
- MSU fans rally behind team following heartbreaking loss
- Ole Miss' Andy Kennedy to step down
- New Ag. Commissioner Andy Gipson sworn in