COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - It’s been nearly a week since Michael Garth was shot and killed at the Motel 6 and his family is speaking about how they’re coping with their loss.
“I’m going to miss him,” Marcus Garth, the victim’s uncle, said. “I hate that he’s gone. It hurts”
Marcus Garth got a little teary-eyed as he remembered his nephew. He described him as a great man who would never hurt anyone and wanted to help everyone. For example, he was trying to make it to Houston to assist with hurricane relief efforts.
“God took him away from me a little earlier,” Garth said. “I wish I could have seen him bury me than me bury my nephew.”
He lived in Starkville and leaves behind his four children and wife. This Thursday would’ve been his 28th birthday and now his twin sister Alexandria will celebrate alone for the first time.
“He would’ve been 28 on the 28th,” Garth said. “I really did want to see him progress and prosper in life.”
Family members say it was a holiday party at a Motel 6 room when the fatal shot was fired. Marcus has a message for the man who took his nephew’s life.
“You took a special person out of my family’s life,” he said. “You took a man that really loved his family but like I say, I have to learn to forgive you.”
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money and so far, it has almost $1,000. Funeral arrangements have been made. The family will lay him to rest some time next week.
- Family of Motel 6 homicide victim speaks out
- UPDATE: Police search for person of interest in motel homicide
- Fire destroys motel in Houston
- Verona shooting victim speaks out
- Family speaks at vigil for shooting victim as they await charges
- UPDATE: Bond denied for Motel 6 shooting suspect
- Jury indicts man charged with murdering another at Columbus motel
- Batesville motel suffers significant roof damage following storms
- Drug agents arrest motel manager in Calhoun City
- UPDATE: Family speaks out after Labor Day murder arrest