TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Friday marks the 85th anniversary of President Franklin D. Roosevelt signing the Tennessee Valley Authority Act, which Tupelo is forever linked.
Tupelo was the first TVA city. Pontotoc was the second.
According to TVA, the act was championed by the president as a way "to get a flagging country back on its feet during the Great Depression."
- President FDR signs TVA Act 85 years ago
- TVA reports strong financials for Fiscal Year 2017
- Nora Miller named acting president of MUW
- Gov. Bryant signs transportation funding act
- TVA asks consumers to reduce power use
- Montgomery County recovers following tornado nearly a year ago
- TVA: Thursday's peak power demand was second highest ever between Christmas and New Year's
- COLD WEATHER IMPACT: TVA asks customers to use less power
- Group wants probe of TVA's jets, luxury helicopter
- TVA says increased review due to increase in electricity usage