JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - A pharmacy chain will acquire several Fred’s pharmacy locations in north Mississippi and west Alabama.
Express Rx will acquire 10 Fred’s pharmacy locations in five Southern states.
These locations include:
- Fred's Xpress, 101 W. Sweet Potato St., Vardaman, Mississippi
- Fred's Pharmacy, 1068 Hwy. 61 N., Tunica, Mississippi
- Fred's Xpress, 801 E. Jackson Rd., Union, Mississippi
- Fred's Xpress Pharmacy, 1360 Military St. S., Hamilton, Alabama
- Fred's Pharmacy, 1128 Second Ave. NE, Fayette, Alabama
These Fred’s pharmacies will continue to operate at their current locations, but they will undergo a name change to Express Rx following the acquisition, which is expected to be in early November.
Fred’s Inc, a discount retail and pharmacy chain, has been closings its retail stores throughout much of 2019.
Many retail stores in north Mississippi have since been closed.
The Memphis, Tennessee-based company filed for bankruptcy in September.
The company said it expected to continue fulfilling prescriptions at most of its pharmacy locations while it pursued the sale of its pharmacies.
- Express Rx buying some Fred's pharmacies in north Mississippi, Alabama
- Walgreens to buy pharmacy files of 185 Fred's Pharmacies
- Fred's to close more stores in north Mississippi
- Fred's continues to close stores, impacting much of north Mississippi
- Mississippi bank to buy southwest Alabama bank for $60M
- Mississippi county left without pharmacy after chain closes
- North Mississippi sees flooding
- Fred's to close several local stores
- Alabama defeats Mississippi State 31-24
- Police investigate break-in at Okolona pharmacy