JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – Escaped Parchman inmate Benny Ray Blansett is now in custody.
Blansett, 59, was captured without incident by officers with the Mississippi Department of Corrections just before 11 p.m. Saturday at a checkpoint on Lombardi Road in Sunflower County.
Blansett was returned to the Mississippi State Penitentiary and will face an escape charge. He had been on the run since escaping Unit 30 on Friday.
Blansett, MDOC #07548, is serving life for six sentences, including two convictions for uttering forgery, aggravated assault on a police officer, burglary, and escape, all in Marion County, and escape in Sunflower County.
Meanwhile, the search continues for two other inmates who also escaped Friday.
Inmates Jonathan Blankenship, 31, and Christopher Benson High, 28, fled the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility in Rankin County. Both are considered armed and dangerous.
Rewards up to $12,500 are being offered as the MDOC continues to aggressively search for the two men with help from local, state, and federal agencies. The FBI is offering $10,000, and the Mississippi Crime Stoppers is offering up to $2,500.
If you see Blankenship and High, call the MDOC at 662-745-6611, ext. 4200, Crime Stoppers at 601-355-TIPS (8477), the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI) at 601-987-1530, or your nearest law enforcement agency.
- Parchman escapee is in custody
- Inmate escapes from Parchman
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Items seized from inmates during contraband search at Parchman
- UPDATE: Lauderdale County escapee recaptured
- UPDATE: Rankin County escapee captured
- Two state prison escapees are now in custody days after escape
- Reward increased for Lowndes County escapee
- Alabama jail escapee captured in Georgia
- Work center escapee arrested in Columbus