LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Longtime public servant Dr. William W. "Bill" Cannon, 87, died from an extended illness on Saturday.
He died at Trinity Healthcare according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Cannon served in the House of Representatives from 1976-1979. He then moved to the Mississippi Senate where he spent more than two decades (1980-2003) serving District 17.
Cannon made an unsuccessful bid in 2014 to reclaim the seat when it came open following the death of Senator Terry Brown.
Lowndes Funeral Home will handle the arrangements.
- Dr. "Bill" Cannon dies from extended illness
- Legendary musician John "Ace" Cannon dies
- Funeral arrangements set for Ace Cannon
- Bruce police chief dies following illness
- Houston football player dies after feeling ill
- MEMA extends assistance program deadline
- Dr. Edward Hill announces retirement
- Dr. John, New Orleans music legend, dies from heart attack at age 77
- UPDATE: Road closure extended in New Albany
- Ole Miss extends contract of Kermit Davis