STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

UPDATE: MUW students spend night off campus after carbon monoxide leak

Students at the Mississippi University for Women are spending the night off campus after a gas leak was reported at residence hall early Tuesday.

Posted: Nov. 28, 2017 8:53 AM
Updated: Nov. 28, 2017 9:12 PM

COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) - Students at the Mississippi University for Women are spending the night off campus after a gas leak was reported at residence hall early Tuesday. 

A spokesperson for the Columbus Fire Department says it looks to be a leak of carbon monoxide from the building's boiler up to the fifth floor. As of 3 p.m. Wednesday, zero levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

A total of 28 students were initially taken to the hospital following the leak at Kincannon Hall, according to a university spokesperson.

Six more residents were taken to the hospital later in the day, and all 34 have now been released from medical treatment.

More than 100 students were evacuated from the dorm hall to the nearby Stark Recreation Center.

The students were transported to the hospital for feeling nauseous. 

The university says gas is currently off inside the dorm hall. Students are being allowed inside the building. 

Maintenance and mechanical engineers is underway and will continue through Wednesday and update the school on possible precautions.

The incident is under investigation.

Article Comments

Tupelo
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 36°
Columbus
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 36°
Oxford
Clear
32° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 32°
Starkville
Clear
34° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 34°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather