TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - Several businesses in downtown Tupelo are throwing a Mardi Gras Street Party and Cajun Fest on Saturday.
Residents say they look forward to having more festivities downtown.
"Yeah, I'm expecting a large turnout," said Tupelo native Sky Ray.
"It's always a good thing to support local businesses. It gets people out and about and gives them something to do in Tupelo," Ray said.
The five local restaurants in charge of the event will offer tastes of the famous New Orleans cuisine.
One of those restaurants is Amsterdam's Grill and Bar. General manager Peter Rodrigues says there will be lots of food to choose from.
"I'm really excited about the craw fish. There is a couple of people coming down here that know how to do it and do it right," said Rodrigues.
With the downtown Hilton completely booked and phone calls pouring in, Rodrigues hopes this event will attract more people to downtown.
"As an organization I think there is so many people that have been trying to make downtown a shoppable place, an eatable place," said Rodrigues.
The event is from 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
The City of Tupelo will close Main Street, from Broadway Street to Front Street.
The event will include live music, a parade, cajun food, and drink.
- Downtown businesses bringing Mardi Gras to Tupelo
- Tupelo in discussion to bring boutique hotel to downtown area
- A 12-year-old was given a black doll with beads forming a noose around its neck at a Mardi Gras parade
- Tupelo businesses prepare for busy weekend
- Tupelo business burglarized again Thursday
- Equipment stolen from Tupelo business
- Firefighters: Blaze damages Tupelo businesses
- Tupelo events bring in thousands this weekend
- Tupelo, C Spire to bring high-speed fiber internet to businesses
- Columbus businesses react to downtown crime