WINONA, Miss. (WTVA) - Winona city employees rescued a dog trapped in a storm drain Friday morning.
Arlin Pearson says he was walking his dogs after leaving home around 8 a.m. and heard another dog yelping and barking. He followed the sound and saw the dog in the drain on Church Street at the intersection with Ratliff Street.
Pearson called for police for help, which led to the animal control officer and the top two employees in the streets department arriving.
Streets Superintendent Tony Palmertree says he thinks the dog may have chased a chipmunk or squirrel into the drain and could not get out.
The animal was freed around 9 a.m.
It's not clear who owns the dog or if the animal even has an owner.
- Dog rescued from Winona storm drain
- Missing Winona man located
- Fatal Winona wreck on I-55
- Starkville has issues with clogged storm drains, cites contractors
- Drain work to temporarily close Tupelo street
- Firefighters battle blaze at Winona business
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody for Winona shooting
- UPDATE: Winona murder suspect appears in court
- Man arrested following multiple burglaries in Winona
- Winona man arrested following triple homicide