STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA) - Dan Camp, owner of the Cotton District neighborhood in Starkville, said he's bringing new businesses to the area.
Camp is constructing a new restaurant, new apartments and a new ice cream shop on University Drive.
The Cotton District is known for its modern-style buildings and its options for restaurants, beauty salons and coffee shops.
Camp said when he was 6 years old, he began building and designing things. He grew up in Tupelo then moved to Starkville to buy and build properties.
With a vision of transforming the "slums" to everyone's favorite hangout spot, Camp said he built his first apartments on Lummus Drive.
The district stretches across Lummus and University drives, Holtsinger and Maxwell streets and other nearby areas.
Camp said he's been buying and building properties for 50 years and wants to continue doing this for at least 20 more years.
- Cotton District has new businesses on the horizon
- Police to close off area in Cotton District
- Starkville police make second arrest after viral Cotton District fight
- Three injured in Cotton Plant crash
- 3 injured in Cotton Plant wreck
- Barker sentenced to life in prison for 2016 Cotton District murder
- How cotton yields are affected by the weather
- Former Oxford School District business manager charged with embezzlement
- Tupelo businesses prepare for busy weekend
- Tupelo school district seeks to become 'District of Innovation'