TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - The Lee County Coroner's Office is investigating an apparent drowning of a missing person.
Coroner Carolyn Green confirmed to WTVA that deputies and fire departments responded to a call on County Road 681 on Sunday evening.
Saltillo Fire Chief Mark Nowell said Saltillo, Cedar Hill, Birmingham Ridge, and Guntown fire departments responded to a call about a missing person.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office also assisted in the search.
Nowell said after a brief search, first responders found the missing person's body.
Green later identified the deceased as David Tutor, 77, of Saltillo.
Lee County Sheriff Jim Johnson provided more information Monday morning.
Johnson said a woman reported Tutor missing Sunday. Tutor was last seen at 10 a.m. that day leaving his home at 318 County Road 681 in Saltillo to check trotlines on the east side of his property.
Trotlines are used to catch fish and are usually left unattended in a lake or another body of water. Fishermen will check the lines for hooked fish.
Searchers found Tutor's overturned kayak on the water's bank. His body was found approximately 10 feet from the bank.
It appeared Tutor fell into the water and could not return to the bank, Johnson said.
- Coroner identifies Lee County drowning victim
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies victim of fatal Lee County fire
- Coroner identifies victim of fatal Lee County collision
- Lee County coroner identifies victim of weekend crash
- Coroner identifies victim of fatal Lee County fire
- Lee County coroner identifies 2 victims of fatal crash
- Coroner identifies Tupelo shooting victim
- UPDATE: Coroner identifies Monroe County shooting victims
- Monroe County coroner identifies homicide victim
- Winston County coroner identifies victim of explosion