PARCHMAN, Miss. (AP) —A coroner says an inmate has died after being found hanging at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, which was a focus of recent deadly unrest.
Coroner Heather Burton said in a statement Sunday that Gabriel Carmen was found hanging the previous evening by officers, who reported the inmate had been irate and throwing feces earlier.
The Sunflower County coroner's statement said the inmate was last seen during a Saturday evening security check.
Between Dec. 29 and Jan. 3, five inmates were killed and an undisclosed number of others were injured in violence inside the prisons that has posed a challenge to authorities.
- Coroner: Inmate dies, found hanging at a Mississippi prison
- Inmate at privately-run Mississippi prison dies in hanging
- Mississippi prison inmate dies in Pascagoula hospital
- Coroner: Parchman inmate dies of natural causes
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Coroner identifies deceased Parchman inmate
- Inmate dies at privately run prison in north Mississippi
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Inmate collapses in prison, later dies
- State inmate dies at south Mississippi hospital